Thursday, May 29, 2014

A New Adventure

I arrived in South Korea yesterday, officially completing my my first ever international flight.
The airplane was huge. It reminded me of Star Tours at Disneyland, but a much larger version. There were televisions everywhere, and we were served four meals, including a breakfast at three pm.
I was very nervous, and probably fumbled some basic Korean words as I tried to communicate, but every Korean I met was very kind and patient with me. I really favored the word kamsahamnida, because so many people were understanding, and they helped me get to where I needed to be.
I had a bit of a scare at the airport when I couldn't reach the director right away, but once I gave up using the payphone and talked to the bus information staff, they actually called the school for me and explained my situation to get the right phone number. I even dropped by my my new work station, since the director had to teach a class, and introduced myself to the other teachers.
It's beautiful here, and I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. When I arrived, it was dark, and the bus ride was long, but many tourist places whipped by. We drove over the Han river, passed Lotte Mall and I even believe I saw La Petite France on our way to Chuncheon. I can't wait to visit the places here, and I arrived just in time for the mud festival, which my new friend and co-worker Jamie explained as one of the coolest festivals here.
Today I am in my own place, which is also a first, and I'm going apartment shopping later to settle in. My work hours are 2:30 to 9, which is an interesting schedule, but I always have weekends off to go explore, and we get a summer break!
I've never taught before, so I'm a little nervous, but mostly I'm excited to be here and start a new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment