Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Butterfly Pavilion



I went to the Butterfly Pavilion in Broomfield Colorado to do some research for a story that I'm writing. This place was really cool. They have a few different exhibits. The first is a desert exhibit were Rosie the tarantula lives. 
(No, I didn't pet Rosie, but I stood close to her and I was proud of myself for not freaking out! :)
The next is an ocean exhibit where you can pet starfish and horse shoe crabs. Their last exhibit is the Rainforest exhibit where you walk in, and you're surrounded by butterflies! 
This is a Monarch Butterfly. 
This is a Zebra Longwing from South America.

They had butterfly feeders, which contained rotten fruit, hanging in different trees for the butterflies to eat. 
I found a Clipper butterfly from Asia eating an orange slice. The butterfly next to it is a Metallic Blue Wave from South America.
I found it again here, next to a Red Cracker from South America also. 
Some butterflies landed on the ground, looking for salts and minerals to eat. You had to be very careful walking around. This African Blue-banded Swallowtail landed right in front of me!
This butterfly is called a Paper Kite from Asia.
This is one of my favorite pictures. It's a Common Postman butterfly from Africa. It landed on my journal while I was writing, and when I moved, it found this flower.
I'm not sure which butterfly this is, but it's pretty.
This is a Blue Glassy Tiger from Asia.
These turtles stole the show for a moment. They even had a spotlight.
While I finished writing, this Clipper butterfly landed on my shoe :)
This Greater Egg Fly from Asia drew a crowd. It stayed on that rock for a long time, until a group of kids tried to touch it -_-.



The Common Morpho was the most difficult to photograph, so I took a video.

I learned a lot while visiting the Butterfly Pavilion, and I was able to snag some inspiration for my new story, and take some pretty pictures.
(On a side note, I wore a butterfly hair clip, and one of the workers thought I was taking a real butterfly home when I left. ^_^) 



No comments:

Post a Comment